Olive Picking Olive Harvest
The relaxing "adventure" holiday in Umbria, Italy, at the border of Tuscany
Come to Villa La Rogaia in Italy to pick olives for
your own olive oil - guaranteed extra virgin and organic.
Learn about ancient agricultural traditions and enjoy a relaxing vacation.
Take home extra virgin olive oil from Umbria, which is considered among the best of Italian olive oils.
Read in our blog "About crowncut and tree combers" everything about growing and harvesting olives.
Participate in the harvest
You can participate in the harvest as much or as little as you want. We start picking olives on Sunday morning and continue until Thursday evening or Friday noon. The olives are picked in teams of 3 – 5 persons per tree. Please consider that picking olives can be physically exhausting. Often it is necessary to climb up ladders to reach the upper branches. Hence we do not expect you to pick large quantities but hope that you will enjoy this way of intense contact with nature. We pick our olives only manually, not with machines. It takes longer to harvest a certain quantity of olives but thus the trees and the ears and nerves of the pickers are not damaged.
On the last day (Friday) the olives are pressed and the “fluid gold” is embottled to be taken home. Half of the olives you pick are yours and you can take home the oil pressed from them. Depending on the year, the weather during the week and how much time you spend picking this can be between 2 and 15 litres olive oil per person per week. For the pressing of the oil the oil mill will charge about EUR 1.80 per lt. oil.
During the oilve harvest we do not offer food but the group of pickers often prepares meals together in a common kitchen. Our apartments are well equipped for selfcatering, the next possibilities for shopping and restaurants are at the village of Castel Rigone at 4 km distance from La Rogaia. On the last evening we will invite the group of pickers for the traditional “rinfresco”, an informal dinner.
Max. number of participants: 16 persons
- EUR 470 per person per week with lodging in double room (shared bathroom for 3 - 4 persons)
- EUR 670 per person per week with lodging in single room (shared bathroom for 3 - 4 persons).
Included in the fee:
- lodging as indicated for one week
- introductory lecture on olive cultivation and olive oil production
- participation in the harvest and share of oil
- costs for the pressing of the oil
- tin cans for your oil
- farewell dinner on the last evening
Not included in the fee:
- Extra charge for lodging in private apartment for 2 persons (with private bathroom and kitchenette): depending on the size of the apartment from EUR 60 to EUR 200 per person per week (double occupancy)
- Extra charge for lodging in private apartment for 1 persons (with private bathroom and kitchenette): depending on the size of the apartment from EUR 300 to EUR 500 per person per week (single occupancy)
- Food (except for the farewell dinner). All apartments are fully equipped for selfcatering. There are shops and restaurants in the village of Castel Rigone at 4 km distance from La Rogaia
- Travel arrangement to La Rogaia
Would you like to know more about the healing qualities of olive oil? Read Cal Orey's book at: www.calorey.com
Photos on this page by Peter von Felbert: www.felbert.de
La Rogaia Olive Tree T-shirts
Do you love olive trees?
Show it to your friends with
our beautifully designed
olive tree T-shirts and sweaters!
Get yourself your olive tree shirt
and with it a little piece of Italian lifestyle!