Tango for intermediate level with Wolfgang and Annette: "Tango dancing made easy, Play with Tango"
Wolfgang Sandt & Annette Greifenhagen
Is this course right for you?
You have already participated in several courses. You regularly attend practicas, go to milongas and Tango balls.
Tango music is not completely new to you. Of course you know there are different orchestras and styles. But you still feel insecure how to dance to the music you are listening to in the milonga.
Then you may be familiar with the following problems:
Especially for women:
- You think your regular dance partner really could “do more figures” when dancing together with you? Because obviously you are capable to dance more figures – when you are dancing with your tango teacher.
- When you´re dancing with a man you don´t know yet, you are afraid you won´t understand what he wants you to do. Thus you are stressed, put yourself under pressure and easily loose your balance?
- You want to perform more embellishments but you don´t know how and when to do them?
- If you perform some embellishments once in a while, your dance partner becomes nervous, because he doesn´t know what´s going on. And you don´t know how to cope with it.
Especially for men
- Your regular dance partner stresses you permanently with her requests to perform more figures?
- When you are dancing with a lady you don´t know yet, you are irritated because she doesn´t understand your signals and doesn´t dance the steps you want her to dance.
- When you are dancing with a lady you don´t know yet, you are irritated because all at a sudden she dances some “strange” steps and you don´t know how to cope with that.
Then the course „Dancing Tango made easy – Play with Tango – Work less, dance better“ is exactly right for you!
You will learn in this course
- To improve your understanding of the music and how you can play with the rhythm.
- How to dance more elegantly by working less
- How to let your body do all the “work” without you even actively thinking about it.
Especially for men
- How you can create your own „figures“ using simple, easy to dance elements, and how you can impress the ladies without memorising complicated choreographies
- What you can do when your partner urges you to „do more, to perform more figures”. Even better - how to dance from the very beginning in a way she doesn´t miss “figures” at all.
- What you can do when the lady doesn´t dance what you think you have invited her to do.
- How you can perceive that your dance partner doesn´t just perform some „weird steps“, but simply adds some embellishments to her dance. And how you can respond.
- You´re told to dance“musically“ but you don´t really know how to do that.
Especially for women:
- How and when you can perform embellishments and when you shouldn´t do them.
- How you can perceive the offers of your dance partner and how you can respond to them actively and playfully.
- How you can understand better the signals of your dance partner and how you will find the balance between dancing proactively and following the lead of your partner in a relaxed way.
- What you can do when you notice that your dance partner is still insecure and gets choked as soon as you´re dancing some embellishments.
- How you can understand the music even better and play with rhythm and melody
- How you can dance more elegantly
- And above all, why it is no problem at all, if something does not work out right away, as planned!
- In short, - how you´ll have much more fun dancing Argentine Tango
A myth about Argentine Tango
And here is the place to bust a myth about Argentine Tango
To dance Tango is incredibly complicated!
You have to practice for years to be able to dance Argentine Tango - Right?
You have to know one important thing though:
Argentine Tango consists of a few, simple elements, which you can combine freely. Even the most complex „figures“ can be traced back to these simple elements. That means dancing Tango is not really difficult once you have learned the basics.
The people who went dancing in Buenos Aires when Tango was created, and the thousands of dancers who crowded the dance floors during the “Golden Age” of Tango were, apart of a few exceptions, by no means professional dancers.
They were just common people, artisans, housewives, workers, merchants, employees… They moved on the dance floors playfully, with respect for the music and the other dancers. They didn´t use choreographies which would have been of no use on a busy dance floor anyway.
And this is one of the things this course is about!
Admittedly the dancers of way back then had some advantages compared to us:
- They knew the music inside out. Tango was everywhere and people imbibed it from their infancies.
But this is not an unsolvable problem. Within one week you can learn quite a bit about Tango music. Enough to dance significantly better.
- Almost all Argentinians had the proverbial Argentine pride and with it the proud upright posture.
And this upright proud posture we require indeed for dancing Argentine Tango.
Therefore we will practise it extensively in the course.
A great side effect of the right posture: Many problems you have when dancing Tango disappear almost magically (apart of that you definitely look much better.).
Of course men tried to put their best foot forward, invented one or another variation of a step. After all there was a striking lack of women, and men needed to present themselves in the best light, thus trying to secure the favour of the ladies in the long run.
But for this you had no necessity to memorise entire choreographies (this would have stressed most of the ladies anyway.) It was sufficient to have in store once and again some small, pleasant, playful surprise – suiting the music.
On the other hand the ladies were not supposed to reel off some prefabricated program without regard what their dance partners tried to offer them.
Nothing of this has changed to this day!
To play with the Tango for a lady means to be open for the musical proposals her dance partner (hopefully) is making to her. And it means as well to make little, playful counter offers – of course suiting the music.
About Wolfgang Sandt
Wolfgang Sandt is tango instructor and sculptor.
He is an excellent teacher who imparts with patience, artistic creativity and humor, gives his students fun in the things that inspire him.
Wolfgang has been dancing tango since 1994.
He has worked with teachers of all styles of tango, such as Gustavo Naveira and Giselle Anne, Fabian Salas and Carolina del Rivero, Mariano "Chicho" Frumboli and Eugenia Parilla, Kely and Facundo Posadas, Amira Campora, Metin Yazir, Graciela Gonzalez, Nestor Ray , Gloria and Eduardo Arquimbau, Yvonne Meissner and Eduardo Aquirre, Ruben Terbalca, Martha and Anton and many others.
As a student you benefit from this wide range of comprehensive, long-standing experience.
Without any reservations, Wolfgang explores almost all styles and varieties of tango, and has developed his own teaching system, in which there are virtually no wrong steps.
Wolfgang is supported by his wife Annette, who is dedicated to specific topics for women: inner and outer posture, step technique, contact.
A comment about Wolfgang and Annette as teachers: The Tango course was an experience I don´t want to miss anymore. Many thanks to Wolfgang and Annette, who imparted in a very sympathetic and structured way their profound knowledge of Argentine Tango. In future I will save money on courses at home but treat my wife and me to another holiday at La Rogaia instead. Andreas from Sprockhövel
Level: Intermediate. This course is for dancers who already have some dancing experience. It is especially but not exclusively for dancers who participated already in one or several courses with Wolfgang and Annette at La Rogaia.
Languages of instruction: English, German, Italian
Fee: starting from EUR 1005 per person per week
Above mentioned prices include:
- Instruction fee for 1 person for 15 hours of teaching.
- Lodging for 1 week for 1 person in double room with private facilities
- Half board (two meals - by catering service or in restaurants - including all beverages) for 1 week for 1 person.
Not included in the price are:
- Extra charge for lodging in larger private apartments for 2 persons (with private bathroom and kitchenette):
"La Pipo" or "I Cuccioli" EUR 60 per person per week (double occupancy)
"La Grapo" EUR 90 per person per week (double occupancy)
"La Nostalgia" or "Il Peperino" EUR 140 per person per week (double occupancy, also in 2 single rooms*)
- Extra charge for lodging in private apartment for 1 persons (with private bathroom and kitchenette):
"La Mimosa" EUR 240 per person per week (single occupancy)
"La Pipo" or "I Cuccioli" EUR 340 per person per week (single occupancy)
"La Grapo" EUR 440 per person per week (single occupancy)
- Travel arrangement to and from La Rogaia. A detailled map and description how to get to La Rogaia and futher information about trains and flights you can find here
- Extra meals, extra beverages, tips
- Entrance fees to Milongas
Please contact us if you need further information about instruction, lodging and food.
* Due to the conditions imposed by the COVID19 pandemic, only people who are "close to each other" can be accommodated together in an apartment, i.e. couples and families, but also dance partners.
How will the tango classes take place at La Rogaia?
Information about Tango holidays in times of Corona:
- We limit the maximum number of participants to 5 couples. At the moment, only fixed couples are allowed due to the social distancing rules that still apply in Italy. Changing of dance partners is not permitted.
- If possible, we will dance outside, otherwise inside with the distancing rules on the dance floor. The room offers enough space for 5 couples to adhere to the distancing rules during the class. It is not mandatory to wear masks.
- We do not know whether there will be milongas in autumn. At the moment only outdoor dance events without partner change and with a minimum distance between couples on the dance floor are permitted. Of course, as an official event organizer and agriturismo, we have to abide by the rules. How it will be like in autumn and on site also depends on the participants and how the requirements, e.g. for local Milonga organizers, will be.
- The participants of our courses will only lodge in apartments with private bathroom and separate entrance. In the two-bedroom apartments, only people from shared households will be accommodated.
- Of course, we follow all hygiene rules of the WHO, the Italian Ministry of Health and the regional authorities: thorough cleaning and disinfection of the apartments, safe use of the swimming pool and the hygiene requirements for the preparation and serving of food as well as the distancing rules at the dinner table if necessary .
Book a Tango Holiday at Zero Risk
Of course, we cannot predict the development of the COVID19 pandemic and the associated travel restrictions. Nevertheless, we will offer our courses again from September 2020 and are happy to take reservations or bookings.
In view of the special situation, we have adjusted our cancellation policy:
- If a course cannot take place due to "force majeure" (e.g. the COVID19 pandemic) or if the participants cannot travel due to travel restrictions / travel warnings, we grant free cancellation up to 24 hours before the start of the course. We will refund your full payment.
- If we have to cancel the course from our side (e.g. due to insufficient number of participants), you will of course receive your full payment back. We will inform you at least 1 month before the course starts whether the course can take place or not. However, unfortunately we cannot assume any costs for flight bookings or the like that have already been made. We therefore recommend that you wait with flight bookings etc. until we have finally confirmed a class.
For all other reasons for cancellation, our usual cancellation conditions apply, which you can find HERE