Recipes from the "Decameron": Radicchio-Risotto, Food for Body and Soul
Food is known to keep body and soul together.
I, Amira, take care of the physical well-being in our small "three women society" in Decameron 2020 in La Rogaia. Mama Annette and Aurora "just talk" (or write).
Okay, Aurora is also doing online schooling, preparing for her final exams this year, and Mama has to do a lot of other things ...
So I want to spoil them a little.
Today I present to you a traditional recipe for a "risotto al radicchio". The recipe, of course, comes from our legendary cook Mamma Ornella.
Risotto al Radicchio
Recipe "Risotto al radicchio"
Ingredients for 4 persons:
2 heads of Radicchio di Treviso, 5 small espresso cups of risotto rice (i.e. Arborio or Canaiolo rice), 2 roughly chopped onions, 2 cloves of garlic, chopped (optional), butter, olive oil, 1 glass of white wine, vegetable broth or vegetable stock cubes, grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slice the radicchio and soak it in lukewarm water with rock salt for at least ten minutes. Wash it with cold water and drain well.
- Prepare about 2 litres of vegetable broth with mixed vegetables and salt or with stock cubes.
- Sauté half of the chopped onions (and the garlic) in olive oil. Add the radicchio, let it simmer on low heat.
- Take a second frying pan and sauté the rest of the onion in butter. Add the rice and stir constantly until the rice starts to crackle. Now add 1 glass of white wine, let soak in with little stirring only. Add the hot broth until the rice is slightly covered. Add more broth whenever the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the radicchio only in the last few minutes.
- The rice should be „al dente“ after 18 min altogether but check before that time. There should be still enough liquid in the pot.
- Take the risotto from the heat and add a piece of butter. Stir, cover the risotto with a lid and let sit for 5 min before serving. Only then add grated parmesan cheese.
- It is important that the risotto is served and eaten immediately. It must be of creamy consistency with the rice grains still “al dente”. If the risotto is getting too thick whilst you are serving it, add more hot broth.